Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I Like Spring. I Like Greens

"I like food. Food tastes good": I couldn't write a better lyric if I tried. Seriously. This hunger-inducing song evokes thoughts of eating my favorite foods; currently, all things green and spicy. The Descendents also remind me of my college days when things were simpler, not quite as tasty, and the only vegan option in the dining hall was the vat of canned vegetable chili. It was passable vegan meal when topped with some uncooked tofu from the salad bar. I cannot express how happy I am to have access to a full kitchen again and recipe is in honor of those sad attempts at healthy living and fervent activism.

I got the idea for Spring Green Chili by mixing two of my favorite things: salsa verde and classic vegetarian chili. Instead of using red tomatoes I used tomatillos - a small, green-husked tomato relative from Mexico (tomate verde). You can find them in most produce markets and some supermarkets. When you can, always try to use fresh, herbs and vegetables.

This recipe is very flexible: Don't have peas? Use some edamame. Adverse to all things cilantro? Then try chopped spinach or kale. It's a good opportunity to experiment, so let me know what you come up with! [[jessica]]


Spring Green Chili
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 bell pepper, diced
6-8 tomatillos, rinsed and diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 Tb oil
1 Tb minced garlic
2 tsp adobo seasoning
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 can pinto beans (and liquid)
1 cup corn
1/2 cup peas
2 Tb nutritional yeast
1 veggie bouillon
1 Tb soy sauce
2 tsp agave
2 tsp vinegar
black pepper to taste

- Heat oil in a nonstick pot.
- Add the onion, peppers, celery, and garlic and saute until tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Add the seasoning and tomatillos and cook down, about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients (plus 1/2 cup water if too thick). Adjust seasoning to your taste.
- Let simmer on low heat at least a half hour to allow flavors to brighten.
- Serve hot with corn bread, rice, or grits.

1 comment:

  1. ooo... the tofu dish looks so delish!

    i am an tofu super fan! sigh. i want the spicy tofu sooooo badly right now. with rice.

    Here I bought a sauce pack so as to skip all the seasonings! and i will try this friday after work.
    http://yummiexpress.freetzi.com

    ReplyDelete