Saturday, April 25, 2009

If Breakfast for Dinner Equals Brinner, What Do You Call Cookies for Breakfast?

This morning when I got my early morning hit of liquid crack (aka iced coffee), the guy at the counter asked if he could get me a muffin or scone to go with it. I grabbed a cookie instead - specifically, an Alternative Baking Company Colossal Chocolate Chip Cookie - and told him I was all set. He gave me kind of a funny look, part surprise and part disgust. It was like he thought he could somehow shame me into a more traditional breakfast item but that, my friends, was a futile and failed effort. The way I see it, if man was not meant to have cookies in the morning, God would not have given us Cookie Crisp cereal or put a basket full of them so close to the register at the cafe near my apartment. Plus, if there's one thing I ain't afraid of, it's "no ghost," followed closely by "disappointing a barista." So cookies for breakfast it was.

Of all the vegan cookies out there, these are probably my least favorite. I realize that the point of a cookie is sweetness, but this is overkill. On top of that, the cookie itself is thick and dense, so every bite requires a lot of chewing and you definitely need some kind of drink to go along with it. It's also very filling, more like a dessert than a snack; depending on your mood, this could be either a benefit or a drawback. On the plus side, the chocolate chips are indeed colossal, both in size and quantity. Kudos for that, at least.

All told, I'm not too impressed with this one. It's certainly not bad but I wouldn't call it good, either. Let me put it this way: if you have no other vegan cookie option, this'll do. But if you have a choice, I'd suggest you look elsewhere. [[justin]]

2 comments:

  1. dude, for real. Every vegan worships these sawdust discs. I'm not into them. Sun Flour Baking Co. are MUCH better but they are 600 cals a cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The four-seed cookies found at the farmers' market are also stellar. almost like a mix between a cookie and a trail mix bar, in a really good way.

    ReplyDelete