Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Amazing Savory Griiiiiiiiiiits

I think I may have to disagree with Justin on that last post. I'd rather lead a chaste life of solitude than give up my breakfast food, especially my grits. Don't mess with my grits. I think Jill would have my back on that one. My discovery of these little coarsely ground bits of degerminated corn a few years back was a life-changing experience. Well, not really. But they make a fantastic breakfast and are a great addition to dinner. The creamy texture and subtle flavor lends itself perfectly to bold, spicy dishes and I'm sure you'll see this recipe in many blogs to come. [[jessica]]

Amazing Savory Griiiiiiiiiiits
1 1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup grits (we used Bob's Red Mill corn grits)
1 Tb margarine (we used Earth Balance)
2 Tb nutritional yeast
1 Tb Tofutti cream cheese
salt and pepper to taste

- Bring water and salt to a boil.
- Stir in grits and reduce heat, add margarine, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add nutritional yeast and tofutti, stir, and remove from heat.
- Let stand covered a minute before serving with additional salt and pepper to taste. Serves 2

2 comments:

  1. I love grits! haven't been able to get them as yummy on my own, though, as what I've had in the South. Looking forward to trying this recipe. Where do you get Bob's Red Mill grits?

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get them at most supermarkets but wholefoods definitely has them.

    ReplyDelete