Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Dandy Peas and Beans with Weekday Tofu

I definitely dig on vegan food. From door to door, it's the only thing I think about on my way home from work. Today it was creamy curry paired with marinated tofu. I couldn't imagine a better meal to pacify my hectic day; curry is truly my comfort food. As usual, the availability of my ingredients dictated the stars of this dish. Today I had left over peas and a can of white beans. Vegan food is good, but vegan food on the cheap is even better. Just call me the veggie Frugal Gourmet (minus the whole gross scandal part.)

Don't let the expansive ingredient list scare you. This is a very simple recipe and once you get the hang of the curry basics you can use it on anything. [[jessica]]

Dandy Peas and Beans
1 cup peas
1 can white beans
2 Tb oil
1/8 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 Tb garam marsala
1 tsp minced garlic
1 Tb soy sauce
2 Tb nutritional yeast flakes
2 Tb faux sour cream (we used Tofutti)
2 tsp lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

- Heat oil in a pan and add spices cook on medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add peas and beans to spice mixture, continue to cook until peas and beans are heated though, about 5 minutes. Stir in nutritional yeast and sour cream. Salt and pepper to taste.
YUM.

Weekday Tofu
1 block tofu, drained
4 Tb soy sauce
2 tsp miran
2 Tb oil
salt pepper and/or sesame gomasio

- Cut pressed tofu into 6 slices.
- Place in container and cover with soy sauce and miran.
- Refrigerate marinating tofu for 3+ hours. (You can do this before you go to work and it'll be ready for the fry pan by dinner)
- Heat oil in a skillet, add tofu and brown each side, approximately 5 minutes a side on medium high heat.
- Salt and pepper to taste and/or top with a dash of Gomasio. (The soy sauce usually adds enough salt but use your discretion)
- Serve with a side of vegetables or on a roll as a tasty sandwich (the possibilities are endless!)
- Eat it.

2 comments:

  1. The peas/beans recipe looks delicious, I am definitely going to make it. But what is nutg? I'm guessing nutmeg, or a secret ingredient i've never heard of. Google's best guess is the national union of townswomen's guild, but i don't think that's it.

    Fun fact: if you good "nutg ingredient" the first result is your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nutg is my failed abbreviation for nutritional yeast flakes. My apologies and thank you for bringing the issue to light. Could you imagine 2 Tb of nutmeg in any dish that wasn't a giant pumpkin pie? mmmm pumpkin pie.... god, I cannot wait for holiday season!
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete